Skip to content

Ottery Mine

Ottery mine

Tin and arsenic were mined at the Ottery Mine, not far from Emmaville, from the 1880’s. Here we see the remains of the brick condensation chambers where arsenic solids formed on the surface of brick walls (see pink substance at the lower right hand side of the photograph). Workers then scraped the arsenic from the bricks. One of the important uses for arsenic, in years gone by, was as a dip sheep to control fly attack and fleas.

Leave a Reply